Well done, Sir!

>> Monday, February 11, 2013


Well done, Sir!
A short Story By G.S.Vasu Kumar
Based on a true incident.


‘Are you Krishna Singh?’ A stranger asked, coming towards him outside the hospital where his younger daughter Shylaja was admitted. She was in critical condition, and need blood transfusion to survive. Singh had contacted his friends and relatives for the same.

‘Yes!’ Krishna Singh replied, ‘Have you come to donate blood to my daughter?’

‘Yes, let’s go!’ He said, rushing inside along with him.

‘Doctor, I have found the donor..’ Krishna said, seeing the doctor coming out of the ICU.

‘I’m really very sorry, Mr.Singh,’ Doctor said, keeping his hand on his shoulder, with sadness filled in his face, ‘It is too late. We couldn’t save your daughter.’

Krishna Singh sat on the nearby chair, with his face in his hands and tears rolled down his cheeks.

‘I’m really sorry, my friend. I couldn’t come early.’ The stranger said, pressing his shoulder gently, before taking leave.

Krishna Singh is a traffic cop. Shylaja was the last of his three daughters. Shylaja appeared in his dream one night.

‘Papa, please don’t feel sad. I had to leave you all and go. Also don’t blame yourself my death. You had tried your best to save me…I know that! ‘ Shylaja said.

Krishna Singh was in tears.

‘I would like you to do one thing for me, Papa.’ She said.

“Tell me, my dear?’ He said, wiping his tears.

‘Papa, please make sure that nobody else should face the same fate like your daughter.’ She said.

‘Sure, my dear. I promise you that!’ Krishna said.

Suddenly, there was too much brightness that he had to close his eyes. When he opened his eyes, it had already dawned. He found that his eyes were moist. He explained about the dream and his resolve to his family members.

‘We are with you, Papa.’ His children said together.

‘Me too,’ His wife said.

‘Thank You, I can’t do it without your support.’ Krishna said, smiling at them.

***

One day, while Krishna was on duty, one person skipped the red signal. Krishna caught him immediately. The person was real scared, and was sweating profusely.

‘I’m sorry, sir. I won’t do it again...I swear!’ He said.

‘No, I can’t!’ Krishna said, ‘I’ll have to book a traffic offense against you!’

‘Please..sir…let me go!’ He pleaded.

‘I could let you go if you do one thing.’

‘What is it, sir? I would do it!’

‘I could let you go if you agree to donate your blood.’ Krishna said.

‘Sure, sir. I would surely do it!’ He replied.

That was the first blood donation by a person who had committed a minor traffic offense. Krishna saved his contact number along with his name with his blood group. He started saving traffic offender’s names along with their blood group for example ‘Anil A+ve’.

Since, then he has arranged 2,332 recipients with the help of his family. Now, he is assistant sub-inspector with City Market traffic police. No wonder, the police control room dials Singh whenever it comes across anyone in the force hears about their near and dear ones needing blood.

One night, while he was in sound sleep, his mobile started beeping.

‘Dear, your mobile is ringing! Wake up!’ His wife woke him up.

‘Hello, Singh here! Who is it?’ He said, waking up and answering the call.

‘We are calling from the control room. One person has met with an accident on Mysore road, and lost lot of blood. He has been admitted in the hospital. I have just sent you the details by sms. He is in need of blood urgently to survive!’ The voice on the other end said.

‘Sure. What is his blood group?’ Krishna asked, now he was fully awake and alert.

‘It is A+ve!’

‘I would take care of it, good night.’ He said, before ending the call.

Krishna dialed one of the traffic offenders, who had promised to donate his blood when the requirement came. Krishna briefed him the situation.

‘Ok, sir,’ He said, ‘I would be ready soon. I am sending you my address by text message.’

‘Thank You. I would come and pick you!’ Krishna replied.

Krishna picked him up on his bike and took him to the hospital. After the blood transfusion was done, the doctor came smiling towards Krishna and said,

‘Thanks a lot, Mr.Singh. Now, the patient is out of danger.’

Krishna took the donor to the tea stall outside the hospital. He bought him tea and bun.

‘Thank you, Champaknath,’ Krishna said, patting gently on his shoulder, ‘You have saved a life!’

‘No, sir. I should thank you for giving me an opportunity to do my good deed!’ Champaknath said, smiling at him.

‘You’re welcome, Champak. Whatever you do comes back to you someday or the other, some way or the other...so as far as possible let us try to do good to others.’ Krishna said, smiling at him.

‘You’re right, sir! I would tell the people I know to do traffic offense, so that you could catch them and take their blood too.’ Champak replied.

‘No, my friend, please don’t do that! I don’t like such things being a cop. Let them come forward and donate their blood. Anyways, I do have enough people to help me, so don’t you worry. I could always disturb you whenever I require A+ve blood, isn’t it?’ Krishna said.

“Yes, sir, you always can! I wouldn’t think twice to do another good deed.’ Champak replied.

***

Krishna has never switched his mobile off, as he feels anyone might need his help anytime.

Anyone in need could contact him 24X7. When he is on duty, he always requests the donor to rush to the hospital where the recipient is admitted. And he monitors things till the donor reaches the place and donates the blood.

It’s really wonderful that he gets calls from volunteers as far as Bellary.

Here is one good cop to whom, I would like to salute and say, ‘Well done, sir!’



P.S.:- Please make note of Krishna Singh’s mobile No. 9845541412, as you never know when you may need it!

0 comments:

Buy "10 Modern Short Stories 2010

Buy "10 Modern Short Stories 2010
Click on the above image to buy the book online from Kinglake Publishing..

About This Blog


Lorem Ipsum

Buy "10 Modern Short Stories 2010

Buy "10 Modern Short Stories 2010
Click on the above amazon image to buy the book online.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP